The Leyton Orient Museum opening gives fans of the east London club their first chance to step inside a piece of living football history: the very dressing room where the O’s celebrated winning the Third Division South back in 1956. Tucked beneath the ‘Only One Orient’ sign at Brisbane Road stadium, through a set of red wooden double doors, the new gallery occupies the stadium’s former home changing room and draws on nearly a century’s worth of donated memorabilia to tell the club’s story.
It is, by any measure, a summer already thick with football in London. Arsenal claimed the league title for the first time in 20 years, turning swathes of north London red for weeks. Then the World Cup arrived, and with it the collective obsession: Djed Spence’s tackles, Harry Kane’s poacher’s instinct, the Bellingham-Haaland partnership played out across every pub screen in the city. Into that atmosphere of heightened football feeling comes something quieter and more local, but no less worth your time.
London’s second-oldest club opens its doors
Leyton Orient FC, founded in 1881 and the second-oldest football club in London, has opened a museum dedicated to its 90 years of playing at Brisbane Road. The display includes historic shirts, vintage match programmes, photographs and artefacts spanning nine decades, with much of the collection donated by supporters. The club is actively asking fans to continue submitting their own photos and memorabilia, with items potentially earning a place in the permanent display.
The dressing room itself has been carefully restored to look as it would have in 1956, the year the O’s lifted the Third Division South title. Panelling added in the 1970s has been stripped back from the walls, returning the space to something closer to its original state. It is the kind of detail that makes the difference between a cabinet of old photographs and a room that actually hums with the past.
A March opening with personal significance
The museum officially opened on 8 March, and the occasion was marked by the attendance of family members of Laurie Cunningham, gathered to celebrate 70 years since his birth. The presence of Cunningham’s family gave the opening a particular warmth, grounding what might have been a purely institutional occasion in something more personal.
The project has been driven by the Leyton Orient Trust, working alongside Davis Watson, the club’s historian. Neil Taylor, chief executive of the Trust, explained the thinking behind the restoration: ‘We are thrilled to be working with Davis Watson (club historian) on bringing the East Stand home team changing room back to life and filled with Orient memorabilia, kindly donated by Orient fans. Given the age of the changing room and the hundreds of Orient players that used it, it is fitting that we celebrate the achievements of the 1956 winning team in the very room where they would have celebrated.’
Taylor was equally clear about the wider purpose. ‘As the club charity, it is important that the club’s history is remembered and shared with new generations, so that they appreciate what previous fans, players, managers and owners have built and something that we can all be proud of.’
Planning your visit to the Leyton Orient Museum
The museum is open now. Visitors should look for the ‘Only One Orient’ sign at Brisbane Road and enter through the red wooden double doors. For anyone with a connection to the club, the invitation to contribute photographs or memorabilia remains open: items submitted by fans could become part of the permanent collection, keeping the display alive and growing rather than fixed at a single moment in the club’s long history.
For a city in the middle of a football summer, it is a good moment to remember that the sport’s story in London stretches back well before the Premier League era, to a club founded in 1881 that has been playing on the same patch of east London turf for nine decades. The dressing room door is open.